A lot of people ask us where they can find out more information about the Alberta oil sands. So, we've assembled a collection of information, videos and links - the best we could find. Most of these we didn't create at Suncor, but we think that you'll find them useful in researching and forming your opinions about the oil sands and related issues.
Oil Sands Overview
- Fact Sheet about the Alberta oil sands from the Government of Alberta (PDF)
- Presentation from the Oil Sands Developers Group (OSDG) - Oil Sands, Canada's Energy Advantage - at the 2011 National Buyers and Sellers Forum. It gives a good overview of the production, economic impact and environmental advances of the oil sands. (PDF)
- A one-page map of projects in the Athabasca oil sands (PDF). From OSDG, 2011.
- Comprehensive list of Community, Industry and Government links from the Oil Sands Developers Group
- Interactive map of the Mineable and Thermal In-Situ Oil Sands projects in Alberta
- Information about the oil sands from the Government of Alberta
Following is a collection of videos that provide a good introduction to the Alberta Oil Sands, including an overview of the science of the oil sands, information about steam-assisted gravity drainage (SADG) and a tour of our operations in the oil sands.
Innovation in the Oil Sands
This presentation from CAPP gives an overview of the technology used by several of the companies with operations in the Canadian oil sands, including Suncor, in order to reduce the environmental impact as well as increase the efficiency of our operations.
In November 2011, the Government of Alberta launched the Oil Sands Information Portal (OSIP), a one-window source for information on the environmental impacts of oil sands development including a comprehensive interactive map as well as a data library. The portal focuses on the cumulative effects of development in the oil sands region and looks at Air, Water, Land, Climate Change, Wildlife, and Conservation.
We've pulled together this collection of videos about environmental issues in the oil sands, including information about tailings management, land reclamation, water management, and air quality.
Other Sites and Blogs of Interest
- Alberta Wilderness Association Notes
Online journal of the Alberta Environmental Network
- Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP)
Website of the voice of Canada’s upstream oil, oil sands and natural gas industry
- Canadian Parks and Wilderness Association
News from Canada’s voice for wilderness
- Canadian Wildlife Federation News
News about wildlife, habitat and issues
- Ceres - Blog Posts
Integrating sustainability into day-to-day business practices
- Deborah Yedlin - Calgary Herald
Columns from Calgary Herald Business columnist Deborah Yedlin
- Integrity Bridges by Donna Kennedy Glans
Posts about the Oil Sands
- International Energy Agency (IEA)
News about energy
- Jeff Rubin's Blog
Posts about energy and its role in the global economy
- My Oil Sands
Personal blog about living and working in the oil sands
- National Wildlife Federation Blog
Posts about conservation, global warming, kids and nature and other topics
- Natural Resources Defence Council Blogs
Posts about the environment, renewable energy, governments and other topics
- Pembina Institute on Oil Sands
Posts about oil sands
- Rescuing the Frog
Andrew Leach's energy, climate, and oil sands blog
- Rethink Campaigns
Vivian Krause on ENGO Funding
- Setting the Record Straight
Blog by Don Thompson of the Oil Sands Developers Group
- Water Matters Blogs
Posts about Alberta's watersheds