Shakespeare’s plays have Coles Notes, smart phones have quick-start guides and everything from cracked laptop screens to broken toilets now seem to have YouTube step-by-step repair videos uploaded by helpful souls out there in cyberspace.
And now we offer helpful guidance to Suncor’s 2014 Report on sustainability, where we’ve taken more than 200 pages to candidly, transparently and verifiably report Suncor’s 2013 environmental, social and economic performance. That’s a lot to take in! So here it is, OSQAR’s top five things to check out in this year’s annual Report on sustainability. You’re welcome.
1. Our CEO’s sustainability message. Read or watch to get the big picture on our performance and future plans. How do we align around our energy future? What are the challenges ahead and how will we tackle them? Who needs to be involved in the energy conversation?
2. Performance goals – how are we doing? Check out the question and answer piece with Arlene Strom, vice president of Sustainability and Communications and vice chair of the Suncor Energy Foundation. She tackles the difficult questions, such as what’s the value in setting lofty goals and what has it meant for Suncor? What are the consequences of not meeting goals? What are the company’s plans for its next round of sustainability goals?
3. Climate change: a different kind of tipping point. Read Suncor’s perspective on this challenging issue for energy companies everywhere. What does the future hold in terms of energy demand, given the growing population? What are the most responsible and affordable options for supplying that demand? What will our energy system of the future look like and how can we all play a role to get us there?
4. Technology development. Technology and innovation are the most assured ways of meeting our sustainability goals. Here we explain the technologies we’re developing and the thinking behind them. The website also includes:
- an interactive technology timeline
- a look at our technology portal and how we accept new ideas
- information on industry-wide collaborative initiatives that accelerate the adoption of new ideas
5. A video gallery. Choose from a library of short videos that capture the fundamentals of everything we’ve been talking about: leadership, environment, social responsibility, economics and people.
Finally, let us know what you think and join the energy conversation online. There’s a special place on the website for this too, along with all our past reports – our aim is to share everything that’s worth knowing. We look forward to hearing from you.